Saturday, March 6, 2010

Review: Plain Perfect



Plain Perfect - A Daughters of the Promise Novel Book 1
Author: Beth Wiseman
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
ISBN: 9781595547569
Audience: Teen through adult
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

Synopsis (from the back of the book):

A search for peace in Amish country proves anything but simple for a woman on the run from life... and herself.

On the rolling plains of Lancaster County, PA., Lillian Miller is searching for her grandparents' house...and so much more. After years of neglect and abuse, she's turning to a lifestyle of simplicity among the Amish to find herself.

As she discards the distractions of her former life, she befriends the young boy working on her family's farm and his attractive widowed father, Samuel Stoltzfus. Despite Lillian's best efforts to the contrary, her feelings for Samuel--and his for her--deepen. Will Lillian find her faith in Plain living, or will she be forced to return to her former life?

My Comments

Amish fiction is one of my guilty little pleasures. I adore the storyline, the simplicity of life, the faithfulness and reverence that is shown to family, friends, community and God. I am blessed to be in an area where we have both Amish and Mennonite families, but not nearly as many as in Lancaster County. When I cuddle up with an Amish novel, I will admit, I secretly go to that place when I was young... wishing I was part of their community. So, one may say I'm a bit biased here :)

Beth Wiseman is a pretty new-to-me author. I have only read one other novel by her, "Plain Pursuit" which is book two in this series. I enjoyed that one so much, that I had to get book one to read. Yes, I read them out of sequence, but it didn't ruin anything.

Plain Perfect was a heartwarming story of a woman searching for peace and she hopes that going to live with her Amish grandparents will help her find what she's looking for. The plot was interesting and one I'm sure all can identify with at some point in their lives. I found the characters quite believable, but maybe a little too naive at times.

I did love the story, and Beth Wiseman told a sweet and heartwarming tale. This was a quick read, and a great book to cozy up with. I loved the morals and lessons taught, and will be a great book to pass on to my daughter. Another wonderful feature to this series is the recipes located in the back of the book. You'll be able to recreate some of the dishes discussed in the story, and believe me, they are yummy!!

If you haven't read any of Beth's books, make sure to try this series out!!

If you'd like to find out more about Beth Wiseman, you can visit her site at: www.bethwiseman.net

This book was purchased by me and is part of my personal library.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for stopping my blog! I'm glad you like it! I love your review of Beth's books...she is one of my favorite authors! I am now a follower of your blog as well and I think your blog is terrific! Looking forward to being "bloggin' buddies"!

    Blessings and hugs,
    Molly from Book Reviews by Buuklvr81

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone else just recommended this to me

    ReplyDelete