Monday, September 19, 2022

Whittling Workbook - Review


Whittling Workbook
Author: James Ray Miller
Publisher: Fox Chapel Publishing
Release Date: August 3, 2022
ISBN: 9781497102705
Pages: 112
Availability: Paperback and Kindle

BLURB:

The ultimate beginner-friendly project guide to whittling flat-plane carvings with a modern twist! Whittling Workbook is perfect for anyone seeking a range of easy wood carvings they can accomplish with just one knife – including roughing out. All you need is a block of wood and one knife to achieve any of the 14 wood carving projects featured within these pages! From a simple strawberry and a whimsical wand to a sailor, Martian, pig, and so much more, each project includes detailed step-by-step instructions to walk you through the entire process from start to finish. Also included are insightful overviews on basic carving cuts, painting and finishing techniques, safety notes, and how to join a carving community. Author James Miller is a recent college graduate and a protégé of decorated Scandinavian-style carver, Harley Refsal. James has been a regular contributor to Woodcarving Illustrated since 2010 and published his first book, Whittling Flat-Plane Animals, in 2020.

MY THOUGHTS:

I bought a whittling/carving kit that had everything needed except for gloves and a strop. I opened the box, looked at the pattern and watched the video, but didn't begin as I felt somewhat intimidated by it. I just didn't feel comfortable as a beginner starting it. 

Then, quite by accident, I stumbled across the Whittling Workbook that was available for review. I jumped at the chance to request it and was thrilled at what I found. This book is a wealth of information! Perfect for the beginner, it explains in detail about tools, wood, how to cut the wood, how to finish the wood by painting, sealing, etc. Best of all, it also has some amazing step-by-step instructions for 14 projects including a hedgehog, grandma & grandpa, a sunflower and more!

Whittling Workbook is filled with very detailed photographs that truly help one on their journey to learning the art of whittling. I have been so inspired with what I learned that I picked up that kit and started to whittle! I'm not finished yet, but at least I gained the confidence to try thanks to Mr. Miller! I can't wait to finish my kit so that I can move on to the projects in this book.

If you are interested in trying a new hobby that is inexpensive and relaxing, I recommend you pick up a copy of the Whittling Workbook. It is the perfect resource for the true beginner and will give you all the information you need to start creating your own lovely pieces. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!! 

I received a copy of this book through NetGalley. I was not required to post a positive review - but one of my honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment