Thursday, September 22, 2022

Hungry Is a Mighty Fine Sauce Cookbook - Review


Hungry is a Mighty Fine Sauce Cookbook
Author: Shellie Rushing Tomlinson
Publisher: Shiloh Run Press
Release Date: October 1, 2016
ISBN: 9781634097826
Pages: 224

BLURB:

Hey y'all!  Come on inside! I want you to meet my family~

I’m Shellie. . .a Jesus loving, story stacking cook known as The Belle of All Things Southern. I'm having something of a family reunion, and I’m inviting all of you to join me--from close friends and second cousins, to my loyal radio listeners, beloved readers, and anyone else who stumbles across our get-together!  
 
My specialty is delicious food born from a legacy of love and southern heritage, broken down into simple steps anyone can follow. Whether it’s my Bodacious Black Bean Salad or Fresh Veggie Frittata, Spicy Sausage and Crawfish Spread or Fudge Nut Muffins, my recipes will satisfy your hungry group and keep them coming back for more. Hungry is a Mighty Fine Sauce is a collection of lip-smacking, rib-sticking dishes served with generous helpings of conversation because I truly believe the best meals come with a story. 

Featuring dozens of tried-and-true recipes complemented by entertaining stories, your hunger--and your craving for humor--are sure to be satisfied! Eye-catching photos, guaranteed to make your mouth water, are included throughout. . .sure to be a much-appreciated gift or centerpiece on your very own kitchen countertop.

MY THOUGHTS:

Hungry is a Mighty Fine Sauce Cookbook is a truly readable cookbook. This cookbook is pure Southern and is a true treasure! It is full of stories that are absolutely entertaining and the way it is written, you can just hear the stories being told around the kitchen table while you are sipping a sweet tea. I have spent more time than I'll ever admit to looking for a recipe for dinner and then finding myself reading the cookbook. Oh, the stories!  I will never, ever hear "This Little Light of Mine..." without thinking of the little Boy Angel Cullen. OH MY!!! I laughed so hard I had tears rolling!

This book is not only fun, but it has some mighty good recipes in it as well. One of the things I really love is not only is there an intro to the recipe, but many of them have comments in the instructions that make it feel like you are cooking with a friend or relative. For example, there was a comment of how the original recipe called for 1/2 cup of sugar, but the author's uncle made the recipe and forgot to add it in. The sugar was not missed, so from then on, it has been omitted when making it. Great to know - and love the omission since we really don't need all that sugar, right?

Sprinkled throughout the book are BELLE TIPs that are helpful and very useful hints, sayings and quotes and drop dead gorgeous photography. The recipes themselves are amazing - well of course they are, they are from a Southern Belle! I love Southern cooking and this book nails everything I love about it. Some of my favorite recipes are: Cajun Grits, Aunt Peggy's Chicken and Dumpling Casserole, Tomato Onion TART WITH Cornmeal Crust From Kitchen Belleicious, Brown Butter Maple Berry Skillet Cobbler From Kitchen Belleicious, and Aunt Debbie's French Market Doughnuts - just to name a few. 

I had originally gotten an eBook of Hungry is a Mighty Fine Sauce Cookbook from NetGalley to review. When it comes to cookbooks, if I find I really like them I'll go out and buy the book. This is one that I loved - so I added the comb-bound book to my collection (mine is a little different than the photo as it has a white comb binding). This book is one that is used a lot and not only for the cooking, but for the stories. I've read more stories and even the recipes to my husband or daughter than I ever thought I would out of a book, let alone a cookbook.

What it all boils down to is, Hungry is a Mighty Fine Sauce Cookbook is a must for anyone who loves to cook Southern food, read cookbooks, loves great recipes or just wants a great all-around useful and entertaining book. I love it and highly, highly recommend it! 

I received a copy of this book through NetGalley. I was not required to post a positive review - but one of my honest opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment