Monday, March 16, 2015

Stonefly by Scott J. Holliday

Stonefly
Book one of the Jacob Duke series
Scott J. Holliday
Haley Road Publishing
ISBN: 9780988555433
Paperback: 326 pages
Genre: Literature/Fiction (Adult), Mystery & Thrillers

About the Book:
Jacob Duke has come back to Braketon­—a sleepy, backwoods town bordering Dover, the mental institution where he spent his formative years. Jacob's intention is to enjoy Braketon's woods and water for the first time as a free man, but he soon discovers that Dover isn't through with him yet. Driven by a curse that compels him to grant any wish he hears, Jacob is drawn back into his disturbing former life by a young boy's desire to see his own father dead.

Complicating things is the irresistible and erratic Lori Nelson, who continues to put new boyfriends in Jacob's path, along with Motown, Jacob's friend from his years at Dover, who carries a secret that rocks Jacob's foundation and makes him question his own morality.

Stonefly is a suspense thriller that rockets to a surprising, but satisfying end. Stay tuned for the second book in the series, Broken Horizon.

My Thoughts:

I am totally ashamed to say that I thought I had published my review of this book and found that it sat in my drafts with only notes and didn't get reviewed. This is a true travesty as this book was so worth the recognition that I should have given it, but didn't. So, here's the recognition that it should have gotten.

"Stonefly" is one of those books that you might just pass up because of the title or maybe the cover. It was on a whim that I chose it and I really didn't expect a whole lot from it. Instead, it pretty much knocked my socks off! It was brilliantly written, better yet, memorable. It's been a long time since I've read it, and Jacob Duke still stands out in my mind. He is pretty much an unforgettable character for me - especially with how he tried to deal with ridding himself of his gift.

Written in Jacob's point of view, one can really come to feeling things and experiencing things through Jacob's eyes. Things make sense this way, where as a by-stander, things may not at all be understandable and more importantly,why would they since Jacob has come out of a long stay in a mental hospital. This really gave me a great connection to the story - and that's what made it so unforgettable.

If you enjoy suspense, a great main character, a bit of supernatural, a gift that is really a curse and some great storytelling, then this is truly a novel you will enjoy. Make sure to add it to your must reads today!!

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley courtesy of the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review, but instead, one that gives my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment