Monday, March 16, 2015

Handbag Workshop by Anna M. Mazur

Handbag Workshop
Design and Sew the Perfect Bag
Author: Anna M. Mazur
Publisher: Taunton Press, Inc.
ISBN: 9781621137771
Paperback: 208 pages
Genre: Sewing, Crafts

About the Book:
From chic wristlets to functional carryalls (and everything in between), each project includes easy-to-follow instructions, pattern template, and detailed photos. All the sewing basics readers need are here, but the range of patterns, stylishness of the bags, and design instruction (so readers can build their perfect bag) are what sets this book above the rest.

A THREADS contributor and THREADS-reader favorite, Anna’s bags have been gracing the pages of the magazine since 2001. She is known for her clever designs and for her simple, clear instructions that yield amazingly sophisticated results.
My Thoughts:

Tauton Press usually does a nice job on printing and photographing books covering crafts, sewing, cooking, etc., however, I won't be able to really comment on the completeness or the quality of photographs for the "Handbag Workshop" since I received a digital copy from Netgalley. For me, that could make or break a great book, but sadly, my hands are tied on this aspect.

Those photos that I do see look quite good and the instructions seem complete enough, however, I did notice that the level for these bags is a bit more advanced than some I've seen in other books. This could be a good thing, but could also be a drawback for an over adventurous beginner. It wouldn't stop me though from recommending this book to anyone who wants to learn how a bag is constructed and sewn and the instructions are good enough to definitely try. Beginners should expect mistakes - it's a given when sewing and since these are more advanced patterns and explanations, it would be normal to have a few issues.  Don't let that stop you though. This is truly a great book and it's good enough that I want to add a finished paperback to my sewing library.

Recommended to those that want to learn handbag construction, sewers and those that are just curious about the process.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley courtesy of the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review, but instead, one that gives my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment