Wednesday, September 14, 2011

People Who Use E-Readers Are Uneducated... Say What?!

I was thrilled to come across a new-to-me bookstore this past weekend, especially now that Borders is gone. We stumbled upon it quite by accident - this quaint little store with some very pretty displays. The owner was sitting behind the counter and was talking to someone when I went in, giving it that warm and friendly feeling.

As I was browsing the books, I couldn't help but overhear the conversation. It went from local gossip to the subject of e-readers. The tone got louder on this subject, as if they wanted me to hear and possibly put in a comment or two. Sadly, I was mortified at what I heard. These two women were saying that people who use e-readers are uneducated. They wouldn't know a good book if it hit them between the eyes. Only those with a good education in literature would understand the love for the touch and smell of a physical book, let alone read a classic!

The comments continued and I realized both ladies were looking at me. I knew it was time for me to leave. As I started for the door, I reached in my purse and pulled out my Nook and said, "Sorry, I'm too uneducated to purchase your books" and left.

I am a huge advocate of getting books into the hands of people. I couldn't care less what medium they are in, as long as people are reading. I love my e-reader because I can get OOP books from places like Project Gutenberg and Manybooks - books that might be gone forever if we relied on physical books. The best part is they are FREE. For just the cost of an e-reader (about 5 hardbound books) one can have a huge collection of good literature at their fingertips at no extra cost! And let's not forget the libraries. E-books are available for download from there, as well. This makes it possible for anyone to be able to enjoy good books inexpensively.

Don't get me wrong, I love physical books - especially the older ones. There's nothing that smells or feels like an old book. With that said, I think I'm going to go sniff a few books...

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for my laugh!! I have a huge physical library - which is why I'm converting to ebooks!! I just have no more room! Sure, I'll keep my collectibles but, come on...
    Me thinks they're jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. And how you handled those women is awesome. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl! I can't believe those ladies. How terribly ignorant. I'm with you! Whatever gets people reading is important and should not be undervalued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! How rude!

    I recently got my Nook and while I still prefer my paper books, I do love the change of reading on my Nook. It can be much more convenient and I can put classics on it for free!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done!
    I guess my doctorate in English Literature is now useless as I have a Kindle as well.
    I can't stand ignorant bigots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you responded to that conversation! Sounds to me like someone else needs a bit of education.

    And I, too, have a degree in English Lit. I guess I should use it for toilet paper now - I own a Kindle! ;-)

    ReplyDelete