Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Good Girl by Mary Kubica

The Good Girl
Author: Mary Kubica
Publisher: Harlequin MIRA
ISBN: 9780778316558
Hardcover: 352 pages

Book Description
"I've been following her for the past few days. I know where she buys her groceries, where she has her dry cleaning done, where she works. I don't know the color of her eyes or what they look like when she's scared. But I will."

Born to a prominent Chicago judge and his stifled socialite wife, Mia Dennett moves against the grain as a young inner-city art teacher. One night, Mia enters a bar to meet her on-again, off-again boyfriend. But when he doesn't show, she unwisely leaves with an enigmatic stranger. With his smooth moves and modest wit, at first Colin Thatcher seems like a safe one-night stand. But following Colin home will turn out to be the worst mistake of Mia's life.

Colin's job was to abduct Mia as part of a wild extortion plot and deliver her to his employers. But the plan takes an unexpected turn when Colin suddenly decides to hide Mia in a secluded cabin in rural Minnesota, evading the police and his deadly superiors. Mia's mother, Eve, and detective Gabe Hoffman will stop at nothing to find them, but no one could have predicted the emotional entanglements that eventually cause this family's world to shatter.

An addictively suspenseful and tautly written thriller, The Good Girl is a propulsive debut that reveals how even in the perfect family, nothing is as it seems….

My Thoughts:

Did you ever finish the last line of a book, take a minute for it to sink in, and then feel the impact of that last line? That's what happen to me with "The Good Girl". I sat and put the book down and then it hit me. "WOW! JUST WOW!" was my next reaction.

The story line, characters and setting was one well wrapped package for me. I found myself so drawn in and involved in the story and was drawn in with all the different points of view and time shifts from past to present. I never saw the ending coming and was stunned to say the least. Looking back, I should have picked up on the hints, but I didn't. This one blindsided me! Truly refreshing and what I would consider a masterpiece. It amazes me that this is Mary Kubica's first novel because she writes like a seasoned author.

I loved this book and found it one of the best (possibly THE best) novels I've read in 2014. Make sure to add this one to your reading list for this year. It's one that you will be glad you took the time to read!!


I received a copy of this book from NetGalley courtesy of the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review, but instead, one that gives my honest opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked this one, so did we! Here's the link to our review of it if you like: http://ourstack.blogspot.com/2014/08/we-both-liked-good-girl-by-mary-kubica.html

    ReplyDelete