Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Creamy Rice Pudding


As I try to decide what to take with me, and what to keep, I came across a my aunt's recipe box. She was somewhat of an adventurous cook for our family. She had given me her collection after her husband died because she could never see cooking these for just herself. She had lost her passion for cooking and sadly reverted to plain and simple. No longer were the fantastic and unusual items coming from her kitchen and we no longer saw these creations at our family gatherings. She has since passed, but these recipes will always keep her alive for me. I am currently scanning all my family recipes and will pass them on to my children in their original form.

This was one recipe I had to share. I've had Rice Pudding before but this is my favorite hands down. It is easy and no precooking of the rice. All goes into a greased casserole and into the oven. There was no time given, so I stir it every so often and keep an eye on it until it is thickened to the way I like it. I have covered it and cooked it uncovered. It is very forgiving and tastes great. Unfortunately, I've never timed it, so it truly is one of those heirloom type recipes. I hope you enjoy!

 

Creamy Rice Pudding

1 quart milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup raw rice
1 Tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup raisins

Heat oven to 325 degrees F. In a greased casserole (1-1/2 quart) combine all ingredients. Add raisins the last half  hour of baking.

For thicker pudding, increase rice to five tablespoons. 

Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment