Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Catcher in the Rye Book Review





The Catcher in the Rye
by J.D. Salinger
Rating 2 out of 5 stars
Recommended audience: none

This book has been recommended by so many people telling me how fantastic is was. I didn't have the luxury of reading this in English class as a student, so I thought I would catch up on what I missed.

Holden Caulfield tells his story of how spends a few days on his own. He was kicked out of school and decides to leave early after a fight with this roommate. He leaves on the weekend and decides to stay away from home until Wednesday, when he is expected. During this time, he ends up in some precarious places.

Although I enjoyed the voice of Holden, I kept waiting for something to happen. I kept telling myself there had to be some significance to the whole story, that something big was going to go on. That kept me reading and hoping. However, I was left very disappointed at the end. How did this book make it to be such a classic? The only reason I marked two stars instead of one is because I enjoyed the point of view from the teen. The book itself, overall, was pointless. This is one book I should have left sit on the shelf in the bookstore.

1 comment:

  1. Oh No! A Holden hater? really? I read this book as part of a required list in HS and enjoyed it well enough.

    I reread it a few years ago as an adult and LOVED it. I had a greater appreciation for it as a grown up.

    But to each thier own. At least you read it :)

    ps- found your blog through the blog hop! http://thenextbestbookblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete