Thursday, October 4, 2012

Is This The One?

Long distance house hunting has been both challenging and exhausting. So many hours of being on the net searching through listings, finding what looks right, and then the showing discloses a total different house then what was presented through the listings. UGH!

Maybe that's a good thing though, as I was searching for my dream house from more than 20 years ago. I wanted a huge house to pack kids in and allow for parties, gatherings, sleep overs, etc. I wanted a nice 2 story that had an expandable attic and a basement, a garage, and a few acres. We looked, we found some but... Things just didn't seem to be working. We prayed and prayed about it, and then one day my eyes were opened. Both kids are in college and we are now empty nesters, so why do we need a big house - or should I say why do I need a big house?

Over and over I was finding verses in the Bible that was leading me away from my excessive wants and towards what I needed. Yes, you did see the word "I" instead of "we" because I was the one that was being excessive. When I finally opened my ears and started to listen to God, I found some of the real reasons I wanted such a large place now - mainly pride. I wanted a house to be proud of and one that others would "ooh" and "ahh" over. Where did that monster come from? That wasn't like me at all!

Well, we found the house for us - it's much smaller than I wanted - only 1,100 square feet, but what do I really need in this stage of my life? It's cozy and homey feeling - with enough yard for a garden, a garage, and a decent basement. We made an offer on the first day of fall and after some negotiations, we came to an agreement the next day (Sunday no less!!). Papers were signed, financial process started, and we had the inspections done. The inspections found a code violation for the venting of the furnace and a HIGH level of radon (79.2 - the safe level is under 4.0). Our agent wrote up a proposal, so now we are back to waiting. This answer isn't coming as quickly. So now we wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment