Friday, April 15, 2016

Family Recipe Friday - Rhubarb Coffee Cake


It's spring - that time of the year that I get excited as the new plants poke through. With that, comes daffodils, snowdrops, spring onions, garlic, but most exciting for me is the rhubarb.  I love the sour taste of rhubarb and am guilt of munching on the stalks while chopping them for other recipes like this Rhubarb Coffee Cake.

This is another recipe from my aunt's collection. I remember her making Rhubarb Coffee Cake and giving it to me when I was young. She would also bring it along with her when she'd come visit and I was always excited to see her as well as to see what tasty treat she'd bring along when she'd stop in to visit.



Rhubarb Coffee Cake

1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
1-1/2 cups chopped rhubarb

Topping:
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 Tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Cream sugar and shortening. Add egg. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add alternately with the sour cream to creamed mixture. Fold in rhubarb. Spread in a greased 13"x 9" x 2" baking pan. Combine all topping ingredients. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment