Thursday, October 29, 2009

How This Blog Began

I am a professed bookworm and lover of books. I married a man who barely reads anything unless he HAS to. He will tell you that reading, especially fiction, is a pure waste of time. He does read the Bible and occasionally a Christian or a how-to book, but being a man of action, he'd rather do things with his hands instead of sitting still and reading. Thankfully, his ideas didn't pass on to the children, and they, too, are just as obsessed about reading as I am.

Growing up, my bookcase always was overflowing, plus I brought home tons of books from the library. My mother always had books coming from some sort of a book club, but I really don't remember her ever reading much. I imagine she read while we were all at school and the house was nice and peaceful. My father, on the other hand, was always reading something. Even now, at 85, he has stacks of books to be read. Sadly, he has developed a disability that now makes it more difficult for him to hold books, but he still reads as much as he can.

Our home library is diverse and very eclectic. Each of us has our favorites. My son loves history non-fiction as well as many of the classics. My daughter is a fiction nut who also loves the classics. Me, well, I'm all over the board. I haven't been able to fit in any type of a box, yet. There are too many books out there to put me in certain genres or classifications. I think that's why my husband shudders when I walk into a bookstore, as he can be certain I can find something that's worth bringing home to read. :)

I live in a very rural area and have not found any interest in any type of book club, so I went looking online. I found a few wonderful groups that I got involved in, and that led me to a fantastic opportunity. You see, I was chosen by Bloomsbury USA to read one of their books and post my review to my group, Bloomsbury and anywhere else I deem fit. In just a few days from being chosen, I received Half Moon: Henry Hudson and the Voyage that Redrew the Map of the New World by Douglas Hunter. I am currently reading Half Moon now, and will be posting a review in a few days.

So, that's the story of how this blog began.

The End :)

No comments:

Post a Comment